In their efforts to raise further awareness and support of the campaign against female genital mutilation (FGM), Global Woman P.E.A.C.E. Foundation is launching “End FGM Social”. End FGM Social is a way to get communities involved in spreading information about the practice of FGM.
Here is how an End FGM Social works:
- You tell Global Woman P.E.A.C.E. Foundation (GWPF) that you want to host an End FGM Social
- A representative from GWPF contacts you and provides the Hosting Guidelines and discusses the details with you
- You select the program format you would like at your Social (a film on FGM, a PowerPoint presentation on FGM, a discussion or a “talk”
- You invite your friends, family members, coworkers, colleagues and neighbors to your End FGM Social
- A GWPF team will travel to your community and do the rest. We provide the film, the PowerPoint, the discussion or the talk. We will even bring the refreshments. We only want you to provide the venue, invite the attendees and get their RSVP’s for a final headcount. GWPF does the rest.
- You or your community group become eligible to win “Best End FGM Social of the Year”
As the campaign against female genital mutilation (FGM) gains continued recognition in the United States and around the world, Global Woman P.E.A.C.E. Foundation invites you to help us share knowledge of the practice with your friends and colleagues. We feel that a social setting creates a relaxed atmosphere, which adds an ease to the topic of FGM.
We held a pilot End FGM Social last month in a Maryland community, and it was a great success. At the end of the year, GWPF’s special committee will decide which individual or community group held the best Social of the year; an award will be presented to the winner! Get in on the campaign to end FGM by hosting a Social. In President Obama’s speech during his recent visit to East Africa, he chimed in on the campaign, “There’s no excuse for sexual assault or domestic violence, there’s no reason that young girls should suffer genital mutilation, there’s no place in a civilized society for the early or forced marriage of children. These traditions may go back centuries; they have no place in the 21st century.”
If you are interested in letting your voice be heard in the campaign to end FGM, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 703.818.3787 or you may visit our website at www.globalwomanpeacefoundation.org. We look forward to hearing from you and possibly seeing you at your very own “End FGM Social”!