Global Woman P.E.A.C.E. Foundation (GWPF) is calling for ambassadors to represent the organization in a number of states in the U.S. According to statistics from the Center for Disease Control (CDC) in the United States, the most at-risk girls of FGM in the U.S. are located in the states of Minnesota, California, New York, Virginia, Texas, Maryland, Washington and New Jersey.
As part of GWPF’s campaign to educate the American public on the practice of FGM, the organization believes that having representatives in the high-risk states is a key factor in helping to arrest the practice in the future. Currently, GWPF has already appointed Ms. Mariam Bojang as its Ambassador to Texas. Although Ohio is not listed as one of the high-risk states, the organization has named Ms. Sarata Kande as an Ambassador in that state. We congratulate both Mariam and Sarata as ambassadors in Texas and Ohio.
The requirements to being an ambassador for GWPF are as follows:
- Have basic general knowledge of the practice of female genital mutilation
- Be able to speak to an audience about the practice
- Be able to represent GWPF at an “End FGM Social” in your state
- Come up with new ideas to raise awareness about the practice of FGM in your state
- Help promote GWPF’s programs in your state
- Already have a connection with a university in your state or can establish a connection
- You do not have to be a survivor or at-risk girl to be an ambassador
If you are interested in being appointed an ambassador for GWPF in one of the states listed as a high-risk state, send us an email with your brief bio to email@example.com or call us with questions 703.818.3787.