This will be the last weekly edition of the Global Woman Newsletter. Global Woman Newsletter wishes you a wonderful holiday season, and looks forward to informing you every month in the New Year.
In the final weekly edition of the Global Woman Newsletter, Global Woman P.E.A.C.E. Foundation (GWPF) takes this opportunity to extend our sincere gratitude for the support you have given us this year. We use this special edition to review 2019 and take a peek into our 2020 plans.
During the holiday season more than ever, our thoughts turn gratefully to those of you who have made our progress possible. And in this spirit we say, simply but sincerely, thank you and best wishes for the Holiday Season and a Happy New Year. We hope you will consider continuing your support to our programs. Now here is a review of 2019 and a glimpse of 2020.
A Year in Review of 2019
- Global Woman P.E.A.C.E. Foundation began the year with our Support Group Workshop, a component of our Wholesome Organic Relief Program. Our Support group continued to grow each month. The group has continued to be of interest in the community. This year, we even mobilized the group in an outreach to the community.
- We continued to build a productive relationship with the Milken Institute for Public Health at George Washington University in a practicum.
- Early in the year, 2 board members of GWPF traveled to Richmond, Virginia to testify to the Virginia Education Senate Committee. Once again, we worked with Senator Black (now retired) to get a bill passed, to include FGM in the Family Life Education Curriculum. The bill was successful and was signed by the Virginia Governor in July.
- We had the opportunity to attend and present at the United Nations Women’s sixty-third Commission on the Status of Women (CSW63) along with the US End FGM/C Network.
- GWPF sponsored a survivor for restorative surgery this year.
- Under our prevention program, Kids Reach Shield, we continued the special training for law enforcement, by training police officers and detectives in Arlington, Virginia.
- We conducted a special webinar to the Student National Medical Association (SNMA) on FGM.
- We made an appearance in a Congressional Staff briefing to testify on FGM.
- Attended by people from various U.S. states, the Global Woman Awards was held on Friday, October 18 Included in the program was a special panel with panelists such as Dr. Morissanda Kouyate, Shelby Quast, and others. They presented the first Lisa C. Bruch Woman of the Year Award, named after their late Board Advisor. The recipient of this award was Monalisa Dugue.
- We hosted our 6th consecutive Walk To End FGM on October 19th.
- We continued to collaborate with #Happy Period and the Northern Virginia Business & Professional Women’s Club in a feminine napkin drive for girls in Sierra Leone. We provided close to 1000 feminine pads to girls in Sierra Leone this year.
- We welcomed Virginia Business Woman, Jacqui Olkin as a new board member, California Media personality, Maria Sanchez and the President of the National Association of Negro Business & Professional Women’s Club, Sherelle Carper as new Advisors to the Board.
A Glimpse into 2020
- Global Woman Newsletter will switch to monthly from weekly
- We plan to launch the 2020 registration for the Walk To End FGM in late January to early February of 2020. Watch out for the announcement in the Global Woman Newsletter.
- Plans for special distribution of feminine pads in Liberia.
- Special observance of International Day of Zero Tolerance.
- Possible partnerships and collaborations to be announced.
- New spring fundraiser to be announced.
- The monthly Support Group Workshop will continue in 2020 but with an expansion nationwide. Through technology, survivors of FGM will have the opportunity to join the conversation, and receive support from the group. Due to the privacy and confidentiality of the group, if you are interested in calling in to the group, please contact GWPF privately at (703) 832-2642 or email@example.com and write “Support Group” in the subject line. For those who have already expressed interest, please watch for personal invites and announcements.
- Please check our 2020 calendar for additional information and activities.
HAPPY NEW YEAR!!