As part of our prevention service, the Just4You Program is designed to service young women and girls in Africa. This program comprises of the scholarship fund and the sanitary pads distribution. The purpose of this program is to encourage parents to refrain from having their little girls undergo FGM, and to avoid girls staying out of school during their periods, due to lack of sanitary pads. The Lisa C. Bruch Scholarship Fund is especially for girls in Africa who are at risk of undergoing female genital mutilation, to help give their parents incentive not to have them mutilated, in exchange for a free education. The program enables girls to make that choice between education and genital excision. Countless of girls in African countries do not have access to sanitary napkins or they do not have the money to pay for the napkins. Therefore GWPF collects sanitary pads here in the U.S. and ships them to countries in Africa for distribution to girls.
The Requirements of Just4You Program are the following:
- Must reside in an African country that practices FGM
- Must maintain a GPA of no less than 85%
- Must be a primary, middle or secondary school student
- Parents must sign agreement not to have girl student excised
- Student must remain in school and complete each school term